- Remote eligible: Persons in these roles are welcome to work remotely from any location.
- Compensation Range: $177,010 - $279,680
- Potential Bonus: Up to 15%
Who You Are:
You are an experienced Engineer Manager interested in further honing your skills while learning about cutting-edge developments in Artificial Intelligence. You have a passion for applying technology to do good in the world. You still love to code and want to spend up to 50% of your time actively developing. If this describes you, the Engineer Manager role on the Applied Science and Technology (AST) team at AI2 may be your perfect opportunity.
The ideal Engineer Manager candidate will tackle challenges with an entrepreneurial spirit and have the capacity to deliver across a broad range of domains and technologies. On the Skylight Team, the most critical skill is to learn and adapt quickly in order to meet the challenges put in front of us. As an Engineer Manager, you will have had a diverse set of experiences demonstrating the ability to drive full stack development across multiple domains on your team. You are an agile enthusiast and understand that the culture and environment we create is fundamental to creating a high performance team.
Your Next Challenge:
On the AST Skylight team, you will work with talented engineers, domain experts, and product managers to uncover illegal fishing by developing the tools that help countries around the globe combat this problem. The Skylight team aims to continue to expand our platform to better deliver timely events and information about suspicious activity to enforcement authorities.
What You’ll Need:
Engineer Managers show strong ownership of solutions and solve difficult or complex architecture and business problems. The essentials functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Have production experience with multiple successful launches/deliveries, with solutions that are extensible and have demonstrated operational excellence.
- Experience leading the planning, design and development of a distributed, large, complex system that has successfully delivered a high level of scalability.
- Experience with hiring, mentoring, career development, and performance management
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- You have promoted a healthy, collaborative culture that improves the team’s overall effectiveness through mentorship, role modeling, etc.
- You find ways to simplify the big challenges and can drive forward the best solution for the team and the user.
- Experienced with NoSQL platforms such as MongoDB, Elastic Search or Redis.
- Experience with building Data platforms with open source software such as Kafka or Dataflow.
- Experience delivering solutions on Google Cloud, AWS or Azure.
- Experience with modern deployment technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes.
- A passion for mission-driven work and a desire to make the world a better place through your work.
- Bachelor's degree and/or Master's degree in Computer Science or relevant engineering experience.
- A minimum of 15 years of software development experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience as a software development manager. For the right candidate we will consider non managerial team leadership.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally required to remain seated in a normal position for long periods of time.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk and hear; use hands to keyboard, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, crawl, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move short distances.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Can work under deadlines.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
Who We Are:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization– because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is a place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity -We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion -We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are Remote - if you are not in Seattle, and prefer not to relocate, let’s talk about it!
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 200+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected].
- Team members and their families are covered by medical, dental, vision, basic life insurance, basic accidental death and dismemberment insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, and an employee assistance program.
- Team members are able to enroll in our voluntary life insurance program, our voluntary accidental death and dismemberment program, our health savings account plan, our healthcare reimbursement arrangement plan, and our health care and dependent care flexible spending account plans.
- Team members are able to enroll in our company’s 401k plan.
- Team members will receive $125 per month to assist with commuting or internet expenses and are eligible to receive up to $150 reimbursement for health and wellbeing expenses per month.
- Team members will also receive up to ten sick days per year, up to seven personal days per year, up to 20 vacation days per year and twelve paid holidays throughout the calendar year.
- Team members will be able to receive annual bonuses and can participate in the long-term incentive plan.
Note: This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the team members(s) of this position. Team members will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the team member(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an at will relationship.