Hi everyone, I'm Filip, director at Octophin Digital, a little digital agency building things for the wildlife conservation sector. The WILDLABS team have been working with us to build this new platform.
It's been such an amazing opportunity to finally get to rebuild the platform after years of discussing it on excited dream-sharing phone calls, but we're no way finished yet. We've launched but as with any technology project (speaking to the right audience here!) you'll know there are bound to be issues and improvements for weeks, months and years down the line. We've also got some more major new features and sections of the site launching this year.
We all want this to be an evolving piece of software that captures what this community needs, but it might take a while for all aspects to be perfect. So please bear with us, but most importantly let me or the WILDLABS team know if you spot anything that isn't right or have any suggestions.
We'll be using this discussion to post changelogs for each release. We're going to be as transparent as we can be here so some of this might be dull but necessary fixes, but features and larger improvements will also make it in as they're deployed.
31 May 2022 9:21am
May 30, 2022:
- Major improvements to performance including automatically scaling image sizes (still some work to do here), aggregating / minimising code and caching things like group statistics so they don't have to recalculate every time.
- One of the pains of working on the web at the moment is a constant onslaught of bots. We tried so many out of the box spam prevention methods but the bots had been trained to get by all of them. So we went with a simple, bespoke, wildlife themed question such as "Do tigers have stripes or spots?". Although some of you are no doubt working on training machines to answer wildlife questions, the bots attacking the site are currently fooled. We're going to keep monitoring this. If you spot anything that appears to be spam, please let someone know and we'll take action.
- We've changed the sort order on the feeds to prioritise new content rather than comments for now but will be tweaking this while we look at how people use the new platform.
- We've added an events tab to groups to show events happening in that specific part of the community
- Careers postings were appearing too far down the feed so we adjusted the sorting to make it equal across content types
- Using an article or event's summary text rather than a trimmed main body text on feed items (summary text will soon be required).
- Fixed some issues with which content was appearing on a member's activity feed on their profile
- Fixed an issue where adding something to a collection could cause an infinite amount of requests to the server effectively denial of service attacking ourselves(!)