This article reviews the intersection of two trends that are simultaneously reshaping environmental conservaiton: Climate change and the adoption of artificial intelligence (AI) technologies.
Title: Algorithmic conservation in a changing climate
Authors: Caleb Scoville, Melissa Chapman, Razvan Amironesei, Carl Boettiger
Journal: Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability
Citation: Scoville, C., Chapman, M., Amironesei, R., & Boettiger, C. (2021). Algorithmic conservation in a changing climate. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 51, 30-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cosust.2021.01.009
Open Access: No. PDF uploaded to researchgate by lead author here
- Climate change and artificial intelligence (AI) are reshaping conservation.
- AI has applications in climate science, mitigation, and adaptation.
- AI is particularly consequential in the governance of changing biological systems.
- Dynamic optimization and predictive enforcement change conservation’s temporality.
- These changes pose ethical dilemmas and redistribute and create new power relations.
Join our AI for conservation group to continue the conversation.