Gain practical first-hand experience in analyzing environmental data in Python through this international certificate program. This twelve week course will take place from 30 Nov 2020 to 22 Feb 2021, and will cover core skills of statistical analysis, and in-depth instruction in handling, analyzing, interpreting, and presenting environmental data results using Python.
Register by 27 November for consideration.
International Certificate Program in Environmental Data Analytics (ICPEDA)
Our actions have transformed the planet Earth much more than what four generations of our ancestors together have! The gifts that time has, in store for us will more likely be unpleasant. However, the meteoric rise in the ability to handle and process data; extract more information, and communicate appropriate strategies in almost-real time, at a planetary scale presents a window of opportunity that can reduce future harshness.
Tomorrow’s environmental scientists and conservation champions must embrace disruptive technologies as a norm and not an exception, lest they miss the opportunity. Globally, Environmental Science is at the cusp of dramatic metamorphosis.
The International Certificate Program in Environmental Data Analytics (ICPEDA) is designed to teach data analytics in Python. It will provide a first-hand experience in handling and analyzing environmental data and interpreting and presenting the results.
While prior knowledge of Python will be an advantage, it is not a pre-requisite to register and gain from the course. ICPEDA will elevate the skill level of postgraduate students, doctoral scholars and early career researchers, who look forward to a career in environmental/ conservation sciences. The course is also an excellent cross-over bridge for physical science researchers who want to explore greener pastures in interdisciplinary domains.
This course covers the fundamentals and application of Python in analyzing environmental data.
- Recap of statistical concepts (measures of central tendency, dispersion: when to use what).
- Learn to represent data graphically (Histograms, Boxplot, Line graphs, Maps, etc.)
- Statistical analysis (standard error, confidence intervals, t-test, correlation, linear model)
- Data quality challenges and solutions
- Understand important programming languages
- Understand lists, sets, dictionaries, conditions and branching, objects and classes in Python
- Initiate your python program (using variables, strings, functions, loops, and conditions)
- First-hand experience in data handling in Python (reading, writing files, loading, working, etc.)
- Interpreting results (in Python - includes multi-dimensional arrays in NumPy, manipulate Data Frames, use SciPy library of mathematical routines, and execute machine learning using Scikit-Learn)
- Data analytics using popular Python libraries
Keep an eye out for registration details on these other training opportunities in 2021:
Upcoming Certificate Programs (in Summer 2021)
- International Certificate Program in Geospatial Environmental Analysis (ICPEGA)
- International Certificate Program in Environmental Data and Information Management (ICPEDIM)
- Competency in Environmental Data Analysis using JMP. (CEDA)
Launching in 2021:
Master of Science in Environmental Science with Specializations in:
- Environmental Data Analytics
- Geospatial Technology
Visit the program website for registration information, fees, full course information, and more. Apply by November 27th 2020 for consideration.
Discuss and share more training opportunities in our Early Career group forum.