Vulcan is now accepting applications for a Software Quality Assurance Lead. This position will help drive Vulcan’s EarthRanger project, and is ideal for someone with a background in engineering and experience working within an Agile development environment.
Love animals? Have you always wanted to apply your technical and creative expertise to a product that protects endangered species on a day-to-day basis? You don’t have to decide between a technical career and a deeply moving, important calling!
Seattle-based Vulcan Inc. is looking for a Software Quality Assurance Lead to help drive Vulcan’s EarthRanger project.
This role oversees and coordinates the work of multiple, remote QA engineers to design and implement automated testing for our client-server webapp. The candidate will be confident in the use of the latest tools and best practices, and comfortable both teaching and learning from teams of extremely talented engineers.
Working on this team, you have the opportunity to join us and be on the ground floor in designing, building, and deploying cutting-edge products that will have a global impact. You will collaborate with our users, NGOs, and academic partners to understand, design and deliver EarthRanger functionality to aid in wildlife conservation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to help us make a difference.
- As lead, ensures comprehensive test plans and test cases are made in coordination with the QA engineers and developers working on features.
- Actively mentors and develops the QA engineers on each development team.
- Proactively identifies potential roadblocks or performance/productivity concerns. Determines, and executes on, strategy for resolution.
- Oversee overall quality of product line and coordinates with support to quickly address product issues.
- Must be delivery focused, with a strong willingness to perform all tasks required to complete the job and meet deadlines.
- Architects and continually refines the strategy and approach to testing our applications.
- Determines new and novel approaches to test and regress complicated systems with an eye towards automating everything.
- Works with the team’s QA engineers to discuss QA strategies throughout the development processes. Identifies systemic quality deficiencies.
- Advocates automated testing techniques from multiple perspectives, including unit, integration, and end-to-end testing.
- Work with support teams to triage and understand customer issues.
- Experience working within an Agile development environment.
- Proven history of advocating and overseeing implementation of test automation, particularly server API, web and mobile UI. Handles and delivers on large and complex projects independently with limited guidance from manager/peers.
- Strong technical aptitude, particularly around client-server web applications, and can converse with developers and program management at a highly technical level.
- Experience implementing test infrastructure for a web app, mobile app, or SaaS offering.
- Experience tracking quality assurance metrics, for instance coverage and regression rates
- Use of QA tools (Jira, TestRail, JMeter or similar)
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science or a related technical discipline
- 10+ years as a quality assurance engineer of that 3+ years as a quality assurance lead
Your characteristics include:
- Innovation, collaboration and trustworthiness with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- An authentic appreciation for Vulcan’s mission to solve the world’s toughest problems.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in an evolving, dynamic environment.
- A sense of humor and an appreciation for sharing in success with teammates.
- A keen emotional intelligence quotient and a contained ego.
- Demonstrated honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments.
Applications are now open.
Vulcan was founded in 1986 by Paul G. Allen and Jody Allen with a mission to make and leave the world a better place. We work with partners to solve some of the world’s biggest challenges facing oceans, climate, conservation, and communities. Whether global or local, our work for good is financed by our thoughtful investing and innovative development.
Vulcan believes in recognizing and including all voices. From internal initiatives to the communities and causes we support, we're on a mission to weave diversity, equity, and inclusion into the fabric of everything we do. We are actively investigating and applying best practices in equity and inclusion to our recruiting, hiring, retention and benefits programs. We know that creating a vibrant, diverse culture is essential to achieving our goals of improving the world through sustainable real estate development and strategic capital investments that help fuel social and environmental impact in ocean health, wildlife conservation, combating climate change and supporting vibrant communities.
EarthRanger is a software solution that helps conservationists make informed operational decisions. We help prevent the poaching of endangered species, fight deforestation, promote human-wildlife coexistence, and advocate for legal protection of wildlife. We do this by integrating real-time data from 60+ hardware sensors (animal trackers, radios, vehicles, etc), rangers, patrols, remote imaging, etc. and providing visibility and analysis of conservation activities across landscapes. More than 125 conservation organizations use EarthRanger today, from iconic national parks like Masai Mara Reserve in Kenya and North Luangwa National Park in Zambia, to species-specific conservation programs like the Snow Leopard Trust in Mongolia and Panthera’s Mountain Lion Program in Washington state.
Discuss software tools used to fight wildlife crime in our forum!