The Population Sustainability team at the San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research is looking for a motivated Senior Research Associate to support our large carnivore research programs and the Conservation Technology Lab.
This position is ideal for candidates with a background in biological sciences, computer science, or engineering, and with proficiency in R and Python.
Large Carnivores and Conservation Tech: Senior Research Associate
About the Opportunity
The Population Sustainability team at the San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research is looking for a motivated Senior Research Associate to support our large carnivore research programs and the Conservation Technology Lab. The position is based in Escondido, California, U.S.A.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Help with the processing and management of large camera trap datasets from across the world
- Write scripts and build data pipelines for efficiently importing and exporting camera trap data in different formats
- Support our Zooniverse sites (AmazonCam Tambopata and Wildwatch Kenya)
- Help with analysis of image and sound data
- Develop data pipelines for field sensor systems
- Build relational databases to manage large datasets
- Assist with development of software for microcontrollers and single board computers
- Assist with training of machine learning models for automatic classification of visual, audio, and inertial data
- Aid with other aspects of hardware development and testing
- Strong quantitative skills
- Proficiency in R
- Proficiency in Python
- Bachelor's Degree in the biological sciences, computer science, engineering, or a related field or equivalent specialized training
- Experience in conducting laboratory or field-based research
- A background in geographic information systems (GIS)
- Some familiarity with C/C++ programming, particularly as used in programming embedded systems
- Some familiarity with relational databases
- Some familiarity with occupancy and capture-recapture models
- Some experience with Linux
- Some familiarity with Shell scripting
- Some familiarity with the Numpy/Scipy/pandas toolset
- Some familiarity with Git
- Some familiarity with computer vision tools such as OpenCV
About the San Diego Zoo
San Diego Zoo Global is a mission-based, non-profit wildlife conservation organization with two world famous front doors where we unite our passion for wildlife, expertise in wildlife care, and conservation science to save species from the brink of extinction. Our commitment is to provide visits to the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park as opportunities to learn about and engage with best-in-class conservation work, and how that work is changing outcomes for wildlife everyday.
For more information, click here.
Thinking about #tech4wildlife career paths? Come chat about it in our group forums!