The San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is now accepting applications for a GIS Specialist to join their team. This position is ideal for applicants experienced with ESRI software and ArcGIS Online.
The GIS Specialist supports San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance's mission and vision of saving species worldwide by uniting our expertise in animal care and conservation science with our dedication to inspiring passion for nature and creating a world where all life thrives. The Geographic Information Systems Specialist performs analysis and database development utilizing geographic information systems technology and executes various GIS functions in the office and field. This position reports to a Supervisor or Manager.
What Will You Do?
- Operate and maintain geographic information system, interpret data and create innovative ways to present information.
- Develop and maintain digital base maps using the latest technology and provide subject matter expertise to management
- Develop new methodologies for leveraging and analyzing quantitative data visualization products that leverage market research data and quantitative findings, working on projects independently and in partnership with team leaders.
- Perform field data collections with GPS equipment, gather and compile data from sources, including, but not limited to census, filed observations and existing maps.
- Maintain SDZWA ArcGIS Online Groups, Content, and Users.
- Reviews related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Evaluate and anticipate user needs, provide ongoing training, troubleshoot and make recommendations for continuous improvement.
- Create GIS data from construction drawings.
- Enter new map data through use of a digitizer or by direct input of coordinate information using the principles of cartography including coordinate systems, longitude, latitude, elevation, topography, and map scales
- Prior experience with GIS using ESRI software required.
- Prior experience with ArcGIS Online required.
- Construction experience, utility network experience and mobile app development experience preferred.
Education and Certifications
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent coursework at a technical or vocational school in GIS,
- Cartography, Geography, or Civil Engineering
- Valid California driver license in good standing is required
Skills and Knowledge
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must have strong working knowledge of ArcGIS 10.7 suite, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online and related apps.
- Knowledge of Geode GPS software and locating equipment.
- Able to operated computer programs used in digital mapping.
- Construction terminology and practices is desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects with competing deadlines in an efficient and timely manner.
- Able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Able to operate MS Office.
- Demonstrated ability to work with teams and effectively with others in a diverse environment.
- Demonstrated ability to bring energy and a consistent, positive, problem-solving attitude to their work.
- Able to work collaboratively with internal stakeholders, identifying opportunities for mutual success.
Make professional connections in our Remote Sensing & GIS community.