Contemplate Wild is seeking a data scientist, who will be responsible for developing, monitoring and maintaining its data science toolset & workflows, particularly related to its collaborative monitoring platforms. This opportunity is ideal for someone who holds a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in quantitative fields like Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Ecology, Biology or related field.
Email: [email protected] to apply for this position
Applications close on 24th January 2022.
ABOUT CONTEMPLATE WILD
- Contemplate Wild NPC is a South African-based non-profit company (2021/845899/08) that aims to promote conservation of threatened species and/or habitats through veterinary, technology, research and scientific support to conservation initiatives as well as mentoring, capacity building and fundraising.
- Operations are mainly based in the Mpumalanga Lowveld
ABOUT THE ROLE
- Mine, process, integrate, analyze, and visualize data for a variety of projects and purposes
- Develop, optimize, monitor, and maintain Contemplate Wild’s data science toolset & workflows, particularly related to its collaborative monitoring platforms.
- Coordinate data science activities across the Contemplate Wild collaborator network.
- Synthesize and visualize data analyses outputs, generate dashboards, maps and summary reports to stakeholders, including regular automated reporting
- Communicate outcomes in verbal, written, and graphic formats to scientific and non-scientific audiences.
Essential : Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in quantitative fields like Mathematics, Statistics, Computer
Science, Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Ecology, Biology or related
Beneficial: Doctorate in quantitative statistics/computer science/biology/ecology/similar
Computer Languages and Cloud Computing
- R and/or Python, SQL – advanced knowledge and experience
- Git (GitHub) & cloud provider services (e.g. AWS / Azure / Google Cloud)
- C++, JavaSript, HTML, Amazon Sagemaker
Skills and Experience
- Statistical techniques - generalized linear models (GLM), general additive models (GAM), regression, random forests, boosting, trees, maximum entropy, text mining, social network analysis, properties of distributions, etc.
- Database structure, design & maintenance
- Application programming interfaces (APIs)
- Dashboards & data visualization
- Geographic information systems and spatial data analyses
- Machine learning & artificial intelligence implementation (regression, simulation, scenario
- analysis, modeling, clustering, decision trees, neural networks, etc.)
- Reliable & trustworthy
- Addicted to problem solving & innovative thinking
- Highly adaptive to all challenges data or logistical (including load shedding and poor bandwidth)
- Outcomes orientated - especially when the pressure is on – there will be pressure!
- Ability to translate complex data into visual information of high impact
- Very strong interpersonal & communication skills – you will definitely work with people (stakeholders) and need to gain their trust and respect Love for nature & conservation
- A touch of class
Contract Duration: 2 years
APPLICATIONS AND ENQUIRIES
For more information about the opportunity, kindly contact Contemplate wild through:
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: 0836332203
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 24 January 2022
Join our community's AI for conservation group to engage in interesting discussions.