Global Fishing Watch is now hiring an Associate Product Manager, who will be responsible for supporting the product development team in the execution of core Global Fishing Watch products. This opportunity is ideal for someone who holds a University degree or equivalent experience, preferably in either: (a) an environmental science, marine biology or related discipline; or, (b) product marketing experience.
Applications are open till 3rd December, 2021. Apply here
About the Position
The associate product manager reports to the product manager and is responsible for supporting the product development team in the execution of core Global Fishing Watch products, including the Global Fishing Watch map, marine manager portal, carrier vessel portal, vessel viewer, data download portal, and other technology developments as required.
A product can be defined as any front-end software, dataset, application programming interface (API), or service that is delivered to an internal or external user to deliver benefits, fill a need, and drive impact. Global Fishing Watch creates products through a process that involves: different data sources, science, partner research, software development and analysis.
The ideal candidate will be highly motivated, organized and a self-starter. The key to success will be managing information systems (databases with feedback, stakeholders to engage, improvements to include etc.) to support product team best practices and taking initiative to ensure Global Fishing Watch staff are effectively and efficiently supported by the product development team. The candidate must have the ability to simultaneously address multiple projects and challenges, while navigating a diverse partner ecosystem.
This role will have the opportunity to build product management experience—both stakeholder engagement and technical—and support other new exciting data-driven applications on the product team.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Under the supervision of the product manager, coordinate the design and delivery of training on various Global Fishing Watch products with various departments, notably the regional program teams.
- Under the supervision of the product manager, and in coordination with the communication team, create supporting documentation for product releases, including user guides, FAQs, labelling and video demos for products.
- In collaboration with the communications team, create and update multimedia assets including video clips, gifs, short animations and still images to showcase new and existing products for launches, presentations and events.
- Oversee and maintain, in collaboration with the communications team, the product content on the Global Fishing Watch website and contribute to newsletters and communications activities about products as needed.
- Support product managers with translation processes to develop and update product labelling and supporting training and outreach materials to ensure they’re available in the languages needed by the regional teams.
- Identify and drive benchmarking opportunities or competitive analyses to collect information to support product development.
- Support data-driven decision making by regularly reviewing product analytics and providing updates or recommendations to the team based on this data.
- Monitor objectives from grant progress reports to update the team on milestones and upcoming deadlines.
- Day-to-day management of tickets to add up-to-date information and record bugs.
- Supporting product managers in flexible management of product roadmaps to adapt to changing conditions.
- Maintaining feedback channels for stakeholders to convey issues or potential improvements to the product team for prioritization.
- Maintaining records of engaged stakeholders to support the team in providing the most effective, targeted support to stakeholders and provide follow ups when their requests have been completed or implemented.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree or equivalent experience, preferably in either: (a) an environmental science, marine biology or related discipline; or, (b) product marketing experience.
- At least three years of relevant professional experience
- Experience with project management and multi-stakeholder engagement
- Experience in integrating qualitative and quantitative insights and other points of view to drive forward project or product strategy
- Excellent problem solving and decision-making skills with the ability to take initiative and think beyond the task at hand
- Experience with user tracking activity platforms like google analytics or tag manager
Required Team and Communication Skills
- Strong communication skills to effectively collaborate with stakeholders, designers, developers, and other relevant staff members or partners, both in writing and verbally
- Team player, willing to work, teach, learn with/from the Global Fishing Watch team
- Proactive mindset; enjoys and exhibits a high degree of ownership of tasks and projects
- Advanced interpersonal skills in relationship cultivation, including persistent follow up, flexibility, attention to detail, superior listening and demonstrated empathy
- Significant experience collaborating with diverse teams across multiple projects simultaneously
- Comfortable working in a small but fast-growing organization.
- Excellent English communication skills – written, phone and in-person
- Comfortable communicating with a wide range of individuals, including peers, juniors and senior-level
- Intellectually curious, forward-thinking, willing to suggest and try new technologies and creative approaches to problems
- Flexibility to adapt to changing instructions and requirements
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Experience and comfort working remotely
Desired, Nice to Have
- Spanish, French or other languages
- Experience with product development, agile software development methodology, JIRA, product marketing
- Knowledge of HTML, video editing software (e.g. Final Cut Pro, iMovie) or image-manipulation software (e.g. Photoshop)
- Experience working to create high-quality visual assets including images, GIFs and videos to support product understanding of our tools
- Knowledge and experience with fisheries enforcement, fisheries management, marine conservation, and/or MPA management
- Experience using remote sensing datasets and maritime domain awareness systems
- Experience with geographic information systems (GIS) or data science skills
- Experience developing and delivering software products
- Experience leading foundational research, creating design frameworks, experience maps, and/or prototyping
- Knowledge of User Experience research methods
Other details about the role
Immediate Supervisor: Product Manager
Department: Product Development
Location: Remote working with a preference for a timezone in Europe or Americas.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience. Global Fishing Watch offers pension/retirement, health and other benefits commensurate with similar level Global Fishing Watch employees in the country of employment.
Working Hours: Global Fishing Watch supports flexible working, so the pattern of hours may vary according to operational and personal needs. Global Fishing Watch works across different time zones and weekend work may be required on occasion. The post holder may be required to undertake periodic domestic and international travel. No overtime is payable.
Equal opportunities: GFW is an equal opportunities employer. We hire and promote qualified professionals without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We believe that our mission is best advanced when welcoming the contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and cultures. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all employees of GFW and our partners, vendors, suppliers and contractors.
Kindly visit this page to apply for the role. Applications close on 3rd December, 2021.
Engage in interesting discussions on Remote Sensing and GIS in our Community's Forum!