The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign seeks applications for a Graduate Student Assistantship position developing and implementing a statewide camera trap network to study local carnivore population trends. This position is ideal for applicants with an interest in camera trap research and developing quantitative skills.
Apply by January 31, 2021 for consideration. Application materials should be emailed to [email protected].
About the Position
A Graduate Student Assistantship is available at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign starting in Fall 2021 to develop and implement a statewide camera trap network to assess the population trends in the carnivore community in Illinois.
This position includes a 50% research assistantship (~approximately 25k a year) and covers full tuition through the Natural Resources and Environmental Science (NRES) Department. The student will work under the supervision of Dr. Max Allen, and will work closely with the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, and other researchers and faculty at the University of Illinois.
• Ability to successfully apply to the NRES Department at the University of Illinois
• Hold a valid driver's license
• Have a strong work ethic and the ability to work safely effectively in the field (alone and while supervising others)
• Have the ability to work closely and communicate effectively with a diverse group of collaborators
• Interest in developing quantitative skills
• Interest in publishing peer-reviewed manuscript and conducting scientific outreach for their findings
To ensure full consideration, applications should be received by January 31, 2021.
Please apply via e-mail with a:
1) a cover letter that explains your career goals, why you are interested in the position, and how you meet the qualifications listed above
2) unofficial transcripts
3) a CV, and
4) the names and contact information of three professional references.
Send these application materials to Dr. Max Allen at [email protected].
The successful applicant will be expected to formally apply to the NRES graduate program. All admission decisions must be approved by the NRES Director of Graduate Studies. Deadline to apply to NRES is May 15, 2021.
Share early career resources and opportunities in our group forum!