Objective of the Competition
To Promote the use of Earth Observation and create awareness of the data sharing geoportals and observatories to allow users to discover GIS datasets and creatively use them to develop innovative solutions.
The two main themes are Terrestrial (Related to Planet Earth Land) and Marine (Related to the Oceans & Blue Economy). There will be four winners in each of the following categories:
- Forestry, Protected Areas & Wildlife (€ 2,000).
- Marine, Oceans and Coastal Information (€ 2,000).
- Land Degradation, Wetlands and Conservation (€ 2,000).
- People Choice Overall Winner (€ 4,000). The winner will be voted by people based on the 5 best entries identified by the Judges.
All the four winners will receive a 1 year Esri ArcGIS for Personal use license.
- Map Centric - Exploration, analysis, and presentation of a geographic phenomenon with clear focus on a specific topic, question, story line, awareness or problem solution (20 marks)
- Design Layout - logical organization and visual flow of maps, text and graphic. Legibility of text font, text size, figures, tables, popups, videos & graphics (20 marks)
- Visual Appeal - color coordination, use of symbology, grammar, punctuation, spelling and good cartography. (20 marks)
- Effective communication - understandable, concise and effectively presented, creative and original (20 marks)
- Effective use of Geographic Information - appropriate use and portrayal of spatial data from at least 2 data sources listed in this page and complete documentation (20marks)
The following sources of Spatial Dataset may be used:
- RCMRD Open Data and RCMRD Africa Geoportal Page
- Protected Planet and Ocean Data Viewer
- Africa Geoportal and Living Atlas
- OFESA Geoportal
- GMES & Africa Geoportal
All submitted entries must use at least two datasets from any of the above named data sources. Other data sources may be used as well.
30 Sep 2022
Registration ends and submissions of entries is opened
20 Oct 2022
Submission Deadline. This wont be extended.
Winners are Announced
For more information, to register and submit your application, kindly visit this page