discussion / Community Base  / 13 February 2019

Have your say - take the WILDLABS Community Survey 2019

Hi wildlabbers!

We've just launched our Community Survey for 2019 - if you have a moment, please give it a whirl! We want to hear about your experiences as a member of WILDLABS and how you want to see the community, platform and programs grow and change to better meet your needs. 

More broadly, this year we're using the second part of the survey to ask horizon scanning questions about the conservation tech ecosystem. We've asked these questions because we think there is a gap that this information could help fill - lots of surveys I see come past are focused on specific technologies like camera trapping, but we're missing a broad snapshot of the conservation technology ecosystem. We'll be sharing the results with you and I'm hoping this survey can provide an overview of the 'State of Conservation Technology', both this year and in subsquent years so we can also map how it changes over time. 

So if you have a moment, please take the survey and add your perspectives to the mix. And better yet, share it far and wide! If you have colleagues who are working with conservation tech, please encourage them to take it. With your help, we'll build the definitive dataset of conservation tech opinion.

Thank you! 

Stephanie

Hi everyone, 

So a quick update on this. We've had 100+ responses so far which lots of really interesting feedback coming through. We're going to close this year's survey at the end of the month, so you still have time to add your perpsective to the mix. 

In the meantime, I thought I'd share some of the early results we've had so you can see what trends are coming through. I'll share the results in seperate comments in this thread over the next few days so it's not too overwhelming. I'm very interested to hear any thoughts about these early results - do you agree with them, are they unexpected? 

The first one is about the functionality you want us to concentrate on adding to WILDLABS in the next 12 months. From responses so far, the highest priority is for what I'd classify as tools for collaboration. There are a lot of things you'd classify as nice to have, but hands down you'd prioritise new tools that allow you to share information/updates about your work, and make it easier to find people with skills you need or projects that need your skills. are what what you want to see asap.

Conversely, you're not particularly interested in knowing more about how things you post here are doing (e.g. personal analytics or a badging system). This is interesting - I suspect it's because it doesn't really matter how many people see what you post, the main thing that matters is the practical outcome and whether you get the answer or connection that was the reason behind you posting.

What do you think, do the trends about functionality priorities agree with what you think? 

Steph