The Reconyx Ultrafire has been discontinued, and we rely on these heavily for research because of the modifiability and reliability in adverse conditions. We need a high quality video camera trap to replace it for targeted sampling on white-faced capuchin monkey stone tool anvils (and future projects where we plan to time sync multiple arrays of cameras). Hyperfire video quality is insuffcient for the behavioral scoring and individual identification.
Our priorities are:
- Durable seals: these are placed along the coast in tropical Panama, so salinity and rain is abundant
- Available metal security cases to prevent theft that could be locked and prevent movement (lots of inspection)
- Long battery life with Lithiums (we collect cameras every 6 months, and have currently been deploying 2 on a site). Sometimes batteries can run out, so we set out a backup cam with...
- ...Delayed Programmable Start Times
- Video length of up to 1 minute long (perhaps up to 2)
- Accepting of high volume i.e. 256 GB SD cards
- Quick delay and recovery
- Adjustable schedules
- good for closer range filming (i.e. ~ 2m from site)
I was considering either the Bushnell CORE™ DS-4K or Browning Patriot or RECON FORCE ELITE HP5, but am open to alternative suggestions!
You tube link is to low quality footage from old cameras 6 years ago (trash gets washed up on coast from ocean on an uninhabited island).