Feedback welcome

Hi All, I'm looking for some feedback from people in the fields of bioacoustics, if you happen to know anyone with an open mind that would be up for a discussion. 

My background is in the use of IoT for environmental conservation, previous work has been the design and manufacture of IoT devices to transfer telemetry from public use drinking fountains to report on the reduction of co2 and single-use plastics in Australia.

I'm currently studying my master of IoT @ La Trobe in Australia & I have been developing an open source add-on to the RAKWireless wisblock system https://docs.rakwireless.com/Product-Categories/WisBlock/ system (modular IoT device) that I think may be useful to enhance the current state of bioacoustics monitoring. My development on the addon was largely influenced by the current state of acoustic recording devices currently available such as the audioMoth & SongMeter, my wish is to enhance the current technical implementation of that type of device whilst targeting a similar price.

So, my current understanding of audio monitoring / bioacoutics as of now is, feedback welcomed.

Current technologies in the realm of acoustic audio monitoring all rely on set and hope method of operation, you install the device and come back and retrieve the data if any, they currently produce large data files that can be arduous to analyze, and the sampling of data is not tailored to the species under study. There is currently no way to retrieve feedback on the quality or validity of the captured data before off-site analysis. Methods of acoustic attractants are used within the ecology community which has been proven successful for attracting species, these acoustic attractants can be abused as there is no control on the frequency and species they are targeting.

I am curious to know if any of these features would be advantageous to researchers, feedback welcomed:

• The ability to use learning recall / machine learning to identify specific species on the device.
  • Enable species triggered recording whether it be acoustically, or proximity triggered
  • Make use of acoustic lures to validate acoustic anomalies, attract/deter species
  • Remotely verify the quality of sampled data
  • Remotely reconfigure the device as per the environment.

Thanks.

frontier.labs.au's picture