1 Some updates as the split is not yet made by IUCN yet but we want the spit- for marketing purposes!
Background story to the split is that we have “Northern Specials” used for marketing purposes, 5 special species to look out for in the park and historically not all of them were species. Gerenuk, Grevy’s Zebra and Oryx are species, but Somali Ostrich and Reticulated Giraffe were subspecies at that time. Now Ostrich is officially split and Somali OStrich a specie and we prefer Giraffe split in similar way which means all 5 specials are species.
Anyway, what I did for mammals was to get a local checklist with sightings updated by tourists by using functionality from the“Endangered Safari” https://public.tableau.com/en-us/gallery/endangered-safari
to a subset containing Meru’s mammals and migrate it to Power BI from Tableau. Here you use the IUCN classification, population status and trend (decrease/ increase in numbers) and ranges in the visualisation.
As you said it needed vetting from Natural History of Kenya and National Geographic as the ranges was not accurate enough on local level or even had “data deficit” on status and smaller mammals missing.
2 So yes, there were issues with the API so I went the opposite way, stored the unique ID in my local solution and drill to IUCN on the unique id and not the name for more information.
- So in the special case of the Reticulated Giraffe, it is a specie in “our” solution but a subspecie when you drill into IUCN until the split is accepted.
- Somali Ostrich is now split with status vulnerable but unknown numbers and decreasing. You have to change the Unique ID in the local database .
This means a custom manual solution for the splits but it is manageable for mammals as we only have 90 species and it rarely happens.
And another special- we added domesticated mammals not classified ny IUCN!
One issue was that we want to track how many domesticated animal sightings you get inside the park so we added them to the checklist and those are NOT red listed as they are not endangered! So for those, like Dromedary, Camelus dromedarius, you must get information from another source than IUCN when you drill. Here is the source I drill down to.
So I started with an assumption of easily scale a solution for every national park by importing all species and data from IUCN including ranges but ended very custom and needed vetting of species as current ranges did not have the quality of data and even remove some species.
And agree with Sarah, there are many databases but not sure which ones are best updated, especially when coming to numbers and ranges.