Communications and Digital Media Coordinator
Position Overview: Primary responsibility is to coordinate the organization’s use of digital media to tell the compelling story of the critically endangered California condor, the successful bald eagle recovery in central California and the importance of meaningful outdoor education for underserved communities. Produces video and photo assets, and written narratives to propel the VWS mission through social media, video channels, email subscriber lists, and will be part of a team to develop an original condor docuseries.
Job Duties include but not limited to:
- Curate and manage organization’s digital media assets using the online Digital Asset Management (DAM) system.
- Source photos and video media from the DAM for marketing and social media campaigns. Act as digital media liaison, including maintaining license agreements, when sharing content.
- Film, edit and publish video content to social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube).
- Storyboard short and long format videos prior to important events.
- Coordinate development of content with field staff, fundraising teams and outside vendors and partners such as explore.org. Coordinate the creation of original content directly or with field biologists and with outside vendors as needed and opportunities arise. Equip staff with GoPros and other cameras, backup equipment and a written request for desired footage.
- Maintain and organize photo and video equipment. Prep gear ahead of time for staff to check out and use in the field. Receive, edit and curate video assets.
- Edit photos for print or digital use and curate into DAM
- Maintain a visual style guide
- Provide creative writing for public communications including monthly newsletters, website content, and fundraising campaigns.
- Manage organization social media for Condor Program and Education Department- Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube and MailChimp. We do not have TikTok but are open to developing new platforms.
- Plan ahead social media campaigns such as “Field Crew Friday” or “Fun Fact Friday”
- Keep the public up to date on VWS happenings
- Propose new social media campaigns and tactics to stay current
- Respond to engagement from followers. Provide informed answers to questions and help propel the VWS mission through one-on-one digital interactions
- Provide a once a month social media report to Executive Director that tracks impressions, engagement, followers, views, and reach.
- Excellent writing skills is a must
- Professional experience with social media
- Prior experience shooting and editing videos
- Prior experience with marketing and a good understanding of fundraising principles
- Genuine interest in wildlife
- Experience working in a PC environment using Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud, Adobe Premiere is a plus
- Willing and able to work in remote wilderness environments at times though most work is in office