Wildlife Insights (WI) is a software platform created by Conservation International, Google, and other partners to manage, analyze and share the world’s camera trap data and use it to improve conservation outcomes in protected areas and elsewhere (wildlifeinsights.org). The WI team at CI is looking to hire a highly motivated, passionate, and independent Lead Software Engineer to oversee WI software development and ensure the technology is aligned with WI’s strategic goals. The position will contribute technical knowledge for the optimization of WI’s backend, front-end, desktop solutions, and cloud-based analytics. The Engineer will work closely with WI’s Managing Director in guiding multiple software development teams (external contractors) to design, implement and test new features, optimize system performance, and scale the platform in alignment with WI’s technology stack. The Lead Software Engineer will ensure that WI is operating efficiently and effectively to meet the demands of our clients and stakeholders and will be expected to understand, lead, contribute to and improve the entire Wildlife Insights technology stack with our internal and external teams.
Our technology stack includes Node.js; Python; R; PostgreSQL; Kubernetes; Google Cloud Platform.
- Lead the software development for the Wildlife Insights platform.
- Lead the internal and external software development teams to ship products that align with stakeholders' priorities.
- Contribute to the overall code base.
- Collaborate with leading partner organizations to deploy machine learning models in Wildlife Insights production and development environments.
- Be willing and capable to work with technical and non-technical staff (ex. ML experts, UI/UX teams, and non-technical Wildlife Insights users and customers).
- Identify technology to improve WI’s products and services during rapid periods of growth, and a pathway to implement them.
- Ensure WI has a clear product roadmap, high-level KPIs to evaluate the product success, and tools to monitor and measure progress toward KPIs.
- Supervise technology and business development staff and consultants.
- Ensure that technological resources meet Wildlife Insights' short and long-term needs.
- This position is open within the United States.
- Work is typically performed in an office environment and/or remotely.
- Occasional travel of over 10%.
- For the health and safety of our employees, their families, and our community, all US-based Conservation International staff are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. This mandatory vaccine requirement applies to all staff working remotely, in a hybrid work arrangement, and on-site in CI US offices. CI follows CDC recommendations for COVID-19 vaccines. Requests for reasonable accommodations or exceptions related to medical or religious reasons will be considered. Candidates are NOT required to state their COVID-19 vaccine status in their application.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5+ years developing API-based software applications and/or platforms.
- 2+ years working on Google Cloud Platform, Microsoft Azure, or AWS.
- Experience with technology related to: Cloud services and products (GCP), Node.JS, Java, Python, machine learning, NoSQL/Relational databases, and data warehouses.
- Proven ability to bring solutions to scale in cloud environments, including performance monitoring and optimization.
- Extensive industry knowledge with an eye towards the future and willingness to learn new technologies.
- Experience working in an Agile environment.
- Leads technical documentation for the platform. Contributes, builds, and drives software documentation.
- Demonstrable experience being a thoughtful team member.
- Exceptional team management skills, with proven experience as a technical leader for engineering teams.
- Strong capability to motivate and inspire team members, including setting appropriate performance goals and for career development.
- Thinks strategically but stays on top of tactical execution.
- Able to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently.
- Strong written and verbal communications.
- Advanced degree in computer science, math, engineering, statistics, or a related discipline (or professional experience equivalent).
- 4+ years working on Google Cloud Platform specifically with Cloud Functions, PostgreSQL as a service, and Kubernetes.
- Experience and working knowledge with CI/CD tools.
- Experience working with scientific, natural resource, or biodiversity data.
- Demonstrated skills as a strong team worker.