Inverto is a young and energetic company looking to save the planet through innovations that scale, focused on coastal wetlands and the climate, biodiversity and social impacts that they can bring. Headquartered in the old town of Bern with projects worldwide, we’re a small team who love what we do. Our team is dynamic and constantly evolving, so if you think you can help us with our mission regardless of the positions we have posted, we want to hear from you! (Note, our website is currently being updated, get in touch if you'd like to find out more).
We are working on ways to collect large scale ecosystem data with a focus on biodiversity, and are looking for a lead data scientist with ecosystem modelling experience to help us break this data down into meaningful metrics and images and communicate it clearly to public audiences and project funders.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Lead the development of ecological analysis of a variety of data streams, including species detections (from multiple data sources and methods) and GIS data from satellite and UAV imagery.
- Direct the high resolution modelling of biodiversity and species distribution from project scale data from coastal wetland restoration projects
- Assist in visualising and communicating the biodiversity impacts of restoration projects
- At least a University degree in a relevant field (e.g. Ecology, Data science) or a broader field with evidence of sufficient relevant experience
- Relevant work experience, although we also love to see experience developed from hobbies and side projects!
- Excellent written and oral command of English; other languages are a plus
- Experience in species distribution modelling/ecological niche modelling
- Experience in modelling coastal ecosystems, ideally with mangroves
- Experience in machine learning and classification applied to ecological problems
- GIS skills, preferably in coastal or intertidal areas and familiarity with available datasets
- Experience working in international teams and are open to travel occasionally
- A “getting stuff done” mentality and flexibility to jump in and learn new things when needed
- Innate curiosity and initiative to push things further and explore alternative solutions, keeping the big picture in sight
- Enthusiastic about commitments to climate change mitigation and biodiversity
Enthusiastic and motivated attitude that thrives in the dynamic environment of a young company where not everything is certain or fixed, but where your work has a big impact on the company direction.
What we offer
At Inverto we are a small team and have a relaxed and familiar atmosphere. Working hours are flexible as required, and remote work is always an option. By joining our team you will find meaning and purpose in what you do and have the chance to work towards a better planet for everyone, alongside a passionate team of like minded colleagues (who are always open to an apero in the evening or a swim in the river over lunch). If this role sounds like a good fit for you, don't hesitate to reach out!
Apply here, or send an email to [email protected] :