The ideal candidate would be curious, methodical, a good communicator and passionate about open source and environmental issues. This might be a particularly good opportunity for an advanced hardware hobbyist looking to make the jump into the professional space without a degree, as we value a diversity of backgrounds and expertise. While individual technical skills are valuable and important, as a Junior, we expect to be mentoring you through blind spots. If you’ve designed and built hardware projects from scratch, you probably have the skills necessary to apply (and we want to see your projects!)
2-3 days per week. Position to start immediately. This role may be remote or work out of the Conservify lab in Downtown Los Angeles. Reports to the Hardware Designer.
- Design prototypes and test fixtures for production. Using guidance from the Hardware Designer, App Notes, and your own creativity. We use KiCad for board layout
- Build those prototypes and bring them up on the bench. Hand and reflow soldering of surface mount components is an every-day task
- Troubleshooting prototypes and other hardware – oftentimes you’ll be tracking down finicky interactions of hardware and firmware. You’ll need to know how to use an oscilloscope, and other bench instrument experience (programmable loads, logic analyzers etc) is a plus
- Document the hardware, and the results of tests in a readable, concise way
- Order electrical components. Support the Hardware Designer to search for comparable electronic components, perform simple cost/benefit analyses, and liaise with the Operations department to make the purchase order
- Part time: approx. 2-3 days per week, either remote or working out of the Conservify lab in Downtown Los Angeles
- Hourly, non-exempt employee role
- Starting rate: $24/hour (additional dependent on experience)
- Reports to the Hardware Designer
- Position to start immediately
- Low Power / Battery-based systems experience
- Automation experience
- OSHWA Certification
- Experience with coding
- Experience with fabrication processes
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Please reference the role to which you’re applying in your email subject.
Conservify (Conservify.org) is an open conservation technology firm that empowers conservationists and communities to tackle environmental challenges by lowering the barrier to entry for effective conservation. Through the development of new accessible technology built to disrupt the current market, Conservify is breaking new ground in the democratization of conservation activities and data.
As part of our mission to build an “open conservation” community, Conservify launched an innovative new product called FieldKit (fieldkit.org). The product is an open-source software and hardware sensor platform that optimizes data collection and sharing from the field. The product is low cost and easy to use, and bridges the gap between hard science and storytelling by facilitating data storytelling through engaging visualizations and built-in connections to social media. We believe it has the potential to revolutionize conservation technology.