Island Conservation (IC) is the world’s only international nonprofit conservation organization dedicated solely to restoring and rewilding islands across through community partnerships. IC is committed to a holistic island-marine ecosystem restoration method that combines efforts to improve community livelihoods, manage invasive species, and reintroduce native species. IC is a United States based 501(c)3 charitable organization that works globally with strategic international and local partnerships. Learn more about us at www.islandconservation.org.
Island Conservation's Innovation Team is dedicated to developing innovative, data-driven tools to increase the scale, scope, and pace of island restorations around the world. As the Conservation Innovation Manager, you will play a pivotal role in spearheading the identification and application of tools, methodologies, and principles that are new and innovative to the field of island restoration and to Island Conservation. Collaborating with multidisciplinary teams, you will be instrumental in scaling up the use of drones, genetics, and remote data monitoring to contribute to our conservation mission. This position reports to the Head of Innovation.
Specifically, this person will:
- Lead the ideation, development, testing, and scaling of innovative solutions for island restoration, collaborating with researchers, technologists, and conservation practitioners.
- Implement agile methodologies to accelerate innovation cycles, ensuring efficient and effective project execution.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to identify funding opportunities and develop strategies for fundraising to support innovation initiatives.
- Develop and implement monitoring and evaluation (M&E) frameworks to capture the impact of innovative solutions, ensuring alignment with project goals.
- Manage complex projects with interdependencies, overseeing project teams, budgets, and timelines to achieve successful outcomes.
- Work closely with local partners, NGOs, and government agencies to ensure the successful integration and adoption of technological innovations into their conservation efforts, empowering communities to take the lead in driving impact.
- Conduct thorough market research and analysis to identify emerging technologies that can be harnessed to accelerate the restoration and conservation of island ecosystems.
- Provide strategic direction to integrate drone technology, genetics research, and remote data insights to drive meaningful conservation impact.
- Collaborate closely with the Communications team to craft compelling narratives that communicate the impact of IC’s innovative solutions to diverse audiences.
- Cultivate innovation program expansion by identifying and nurturing funding opportunities, building on partnerships, and exploring avenues for scaling impact.
- Lead contract development and deal negotiations, including intellectual property (IP), licensing agreements, and exit strategies, to secure mutually beneficial partnerships.
This is a full-time position based remotely, with full benefits. The salary will be commensurate with experience and geographic location of the applicant. The position involves both desktop-based and fieldwork, requiring an understanding of the physical demands and unpredictability of field operations. Approximately 10 – 20% of the time will be dedicated to travel to engage with collaborators and oversee innovation developments.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of experience in relevant field such as Environmental Science, Engineering, Business, or a related discipline
- Experience in agile development, human-centered design, innovation, and lean startup methodology, with the ability to apply these principles to conservation challenges.
- Experience managing complex projects, including overseeing finances and coordinating activities among diverse professionals and partners.
- Experience successfully developing and managing partnerships with non-profit organizations, government agencies, and private sector entities.
- Experience collaborating with interdisciplinary teams and culturally diverse stakeholders, navigating sensitive issues, and building effective relationships.
- Experience developing products, tools, and solutions rooted in user feedback and designed to address identified challenges.
- Strong negotiation skills to effectively navigate agreements, contracts, and collaborations.
- Strategic thinker with the capability to align innovation initiatives with organizational objectives.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, to convey complex concepts to varied audiences.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Valid Driver’s License and willingness to obtain a Passport upon hiring.
- Knowledge of current trends and practices in drones, genetics, and remote data monitoring.
- Experience guiding the market adoption of products or innovations from conceptualization to implementation, focusing on strategies for scaling and user engagement within an NGO context.
- Experience in negotiating agreements, contract development, intellectual property (IP), license agreements, and exit strategies.
- Experience in identifying donor or investor prospects, cultivating effective relationships, and fundraising.
- Experience in scaling projects and solutions in collaboration with local partners, adapting to different contexts and incorporating local insights.
- Experience collaborating meaningfully with indigenous or other under-represented communities and non-traditional conservation partners with diverse interests and perspectives.
- Familiarity with applied fieldwork in conservation, invasive species management and biosecurity, wildlife management, ecology, forestry, marine biology, or similar.
- Additional foreign language skills (e.g., French, Spanish).
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified candidates should apply to [email protected]; applications should include 1) a cover letter (including desired remote office location(s), and 2) a resume.
This position has full benefits, and the salary is based on the location and experience.
Equal opportunity employer.